Pages

Thursday, December 1, 2016

Throwback Thursday: Playing the Odds by Nora Roberts


Author: Nora Roberts
First published in 1985 by Silhouette

The cards were stacked, though neither of them knew it. Serena MacGregor's father left nothing to chance when he sent Justin Blade -- part Comanche and all gambler -- on a Caribbean cruise. His daughter was evading her responsibility to produce grandchildren by working as a blackjack dealer on the CELEBRATION. Odds were they'd meet.

Serena's father had his hopes riding on what would happen when they did. Win, lose or draw, they were meant for each other, proving indisputably in this case that lucky in cards did not mean unlucky in love.
 


I was surprised at how much I liked this early one from Ms. Roberts.  It's definitely a bit cheesy, but in the end I thought it was a cute story.  Justin did take a bit of time to grow on me.  He was a bit pushy in the beginning.  His alpha side was a bit off putting. He redeemed himself in the end.  Serena was a great character.  She wasn't wishy-washy and definitely gave as good as she got. The other characters were fun as well.  My favorite was Serena's dad.  He was hilarious.  

There is a little mystery included in this one.  I did guess the solution to whole the stalker/bomber was or at least what it was all related to.  But, I didn't really mind that much.  I'm definitely going to be hunting down the rest of the series to read about her brothers!



No comments: