Pages

Monday, May 24, 2021

Review: Near the Bone by Christina Henry

Author: Christina Henry
Publisher: Berkeley Books
Publication Date: April 2021

Mattie can't remember a time before she and William lived alone on a mountain together. She must never make him upset. But when Mattie discovers the mutilated body of a fox in the woods, she realizes that they're not alone after all.

There's something in the woods that wasn't there before, something that makes strange cries in the night, something with sharp teeth and claws.

When three strangers appear on the mountaintop looking for the creature in the woods, Mattie knows their presence will anger William. Terrible things happen when William is angry.

Near the Bone involves Mattie, who lives with William, in the woods. Their life is hard and dangerous.   Mattie has fleeting memories of her time before living with William. William is not her dream partner and he leaves her little time for day dreaming.  I have not been having very good luck with thrillers lately.  I had high hopes for this one, but sadly it didn't fully work for me. I am on the fence about this book.  I liked aspects for the story, but really dislikes other parts.

I like Mattie.  Her life was brutal (trigger warning for harsh domestic abuse).  She started out as a timid mouse and grew into a strong woman by the end of the book.  I was rooting for her to survive.  I also thought there was good tense atmosphere at times.  I was definitely on the edge of my seat.  What I didn't like was the rest of the characters.  They were annoying and forgettable.  I also detested the ending.  Authors, can you please stop with the unanswered questions?  Why make a reader go through all of that tension and then not give any hint as to what was causing it?  Also, what happened next? I want a good thriller with a good ending.  I'll continue my hunt.


 

No comments: