Pages

Friday, May 7, 2021

Review: Scared to Death by Rachel Amphlett

Author: Rachel Amphlett
Publisher: Saxon Publishing
Publication Date: December 2016

A serial killer murdering for kicks.
A detective seeking revenge.
When the body of a snatched schoolgirl is found in an abandoned biosciences building, the case is first treated as a kidnapping gone wrong.
But Detective Kay Hunter isn’t convinced, especially when a man is found dead with the ransom money still in his possession.
When a second schoolgirl is taken, Kay’s worst fears are realised.
With her career in jeopardy and desperate to conceal a disturbing secret, Kay’s hunt for the killer becomes a race against time before he claims another life.
For the killer, the game has only just begun…

I found this Scared to Death on my Hoopla account as an instant borrow for May.  I love when there is an instant borrowl list because I can try out a book without wasting one of my 5 monthly borrows.  Anyway, the synopsis sounded interesting, so I tried it out.  The story is the first in a series that follows Detective Kay Hunter as she solves crimes with her police team.

I am so glad that I gave this book a try.  I ended up really enjoying it.  I loved the characters as well as the mystery. It was refreshing to to read about a police detective who wasn't an alcoholic, had a traumatic past or was divorced.  Instead, Kay is dealing with a loss, but she has a great partner in her husband who actually mourns with her and supports her.  I loved Adam.  The other police officers were interesting and I think they all will end up making a good team going forward.   I also enjoyed the mystery.  Even though we do get a perspective from the killer, there are still some twists and surprises for the reader.  

I highly recommend this one if you missed it. It looks like there are 9 books so far in the series, so I have some catching up to do.



No comments: