Pages

Monday, January 30, 2012

Books We Didn't Finish


I had a really hard time getting into Once Upon a Time, There was you.  I tried to reading the actual book and when that didn't work, I got the audio.  Sometimes, I find that having the story read to me will change my mind about a book.  Unfortunately, I didn't get past the first disc.  The story just moved too slowly for me and I could not bring myself to care about the characters.  I see that is got mixed reviews on Goodreads.  To each his own I guess.


Rooms got such great reviews and my mother loved the book.  We often like the same things, so I gave it a try.  I just couldn't finish it.  I'm not opposed to Christian Lit and have enjoyed and reviewed a couple on this blog.  Rooms was a little too preachy for me.  I turned it off during the second disc.  I couldn't see where the book was going and really had no inclination to make it to the end.  Maybe I wasn't in the mood for a life lesson?  (Autumn didn't finish this book either!!)


I started Good in Bed in hopes to review it for a Throwback Thursday post.  I gave up about 3 chapters into it.  I just couldn't connect with the main character.  Her ex-boyfriend writes an article which basically tears her apart and instead of getting mad, she gets depressed.  I'd be slapping his behind with a lawsuit.  I didn't find any humor in her situation.  Definitely not a book for me.


I was really disappointed in The Future of Us.  I read 13 Reasons Why and cried like a little baby.  Then stalked Jay Asher at ALA like a freak show to make sure he signed my copy of 13RW.  He was very gracious by the way.  The Future of Us just didn't do it for me.  I didn't care for the characters.  Initially, I thought the idea of the story was interesting, but once I got into it, it just seemed kinda...dumb for lack of a better word.

Queens of All the Earth was another one I just couldn't get into.  It starts off with a mental breakdown.  I wasn't convinced.  The reasoning behind the breakdown, the pressure of leaving for college, didn't seem logical.  The actions of her family seemed bizarre.  She couldn't handle the pressure of leaving for college so they decide to pack her up and take her on a European vacation.  Who does that?
I mostly finished Sisters of Glass.  What does that mean??  It's a really short MG book and I read about three-quarters of it.  I got the main idea of it.  It wasn't a terrible book, but I didn't find it particularly specatular either.  If you've seen the movie Dangerous Beauty, it really reminded me of a kid version of that for some reason.  I don't know why, they aren't courtesans, but I guess the same flavor or something.

No comments: