Pages

Sunday, January 22, 2012

The Shattering by Karen Healey

by:  Karen Healey
published by:  Little Brown Books for Young Readers
publish date:  September 2011

Seventeen-year-old Keri likes to plan for every possibility. She knows what to do if you break an arm, or get caught in an earthquake or fire. But she wasn't prepared for her brother's suicide, and his death has left her shattered with grief. When her childhood friend Janna tells her it was murder, not suicide, Keri wants to believe her. After all, Janna's brother died under similar circumstances years ago, and Janna insists a visiting tourist, Sione, who also lost a brother to apparent suicide that year, has helped her find some answers.

As the three dig deeper, disturbing facts begin to pile up: one boy killed every year; all older brothers; all had spent New Year's Eve in the idyllic town of Summerton. But when their search for the serial killer takes an unexpected turn, suspicion is cast on those they trust the most.

As secrets shatter around them, can they save the next victim? Or will they become victims themselves?


This book took a huge turn that I wasn't expecting.   I expected it to be a straight up murder mystery and it wasn't.  It ended up having a paranormal twist about halfway through.  The other thing that threw me was the location.   It takes place in the Southern Hemisphere on New Year's.  The fact that it was Summer was messing with this Northern Hemisphere girl.

Despite that, I thought it was a good book.  I enjoyed the story.  I liked the progression of the mystery and how the 3 teens solved it.  I thought the characters were interesting and well developed.  I was pleased with the diversity of the main characters, the complexities of their interactions added an extra element to the story.

Bottomline, good YA murder mystery with some paranormal spice thrown in.  Due to language and sex though, I would probably keep this one to the older YAs.

1 comment:

Ann Summerville said...

I think the paranormal twist would bother me. Good review.
Ann