Pages

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Joint Review: Everneath by Brodi Ashton

by:  Brodi Ashton
published by:  Balzer + Bray
publish date:  January 24, 2012

Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath, where immortals Feed on the emotions of despairing humans. Now she's returned- to her old life, her family, her friends- before being banished back to the underworld... this time forever.

She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can't find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists.

Anyone that has been reading this blog for awhile has probably come to understand that I am not a fan of the trend of YA trilogies/series.  Everneath is the start of yet another one.  However, I have to applaud Brodi Aston because she didn't end this book with a huge gaping hole.  This book could be a stand alone novel.

Everneath was quite good.  I was drawn in by the story.  The mythology aspect was very interesting.  It made me want to go learn all about the characters mentioned in the book, beyond that smattering I could muster up from middle school.

I would definitely recommend this book.  I think it's appropriate for most YA.  I don't recall any objectionable material, plus there's a lesson about Greek Mythology thrown in.

I also wanted to give props to the cover designer.  How awesome is that?

I had such high hopes for this book.  It even made my most anticipated for 2012.  Sadly, I have to admit that I didn't finish this book.  I knew I was in trouble when I kept putting it down for other reading material.  Unlike Autumn, I just wasn't drawn into the book.  I didn't like how depressed it made me feel.  Talk about angst.   I didn't really feel for the characters. We all want to run away from our feelings, but I couldn't muster any sympathy for Nikki. Knowing it is a trilogy also played a part in my not wanting to finish this one.  I don't think I could make it through 3 books of angst. 

It is a cool cover though....

1 comment:

ParaJunkee said...

I like how you do these joint reviews. It's fun to see two different POVs. I have high hopes for this book - I hope I agree with Autumn -- LOL