Pages

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

by:  Gillian Flynn
published by:  Shaye Arehart Books
publish date:  May 5th, 2009

Libby Day was seven when her mother and two sisters were murdered in “The Satan Sacrifice of Kinnakee, Kansas.” As her family lay dying, little Libby fled their tiny farmhouse into the freezing January snow. She lost some fingers and toes, but she survived–and famously testified that her fifteen-year-old brother, Ben, was the killer. Twenty-five years later, Ben sits in prison, and troubled Libby lives off the dregs of a trust created by well-wishers who’ve long forgotten her.

The Kill Club is a macabre secret society obsessed with notorious crimes. When they locate Libby and pump her for details–proof they hope may free Ben–Libby hatches a plan to profit off her tragic history. For a fee, she’ll reconnect with the players from that night and report her findings to the club . . . and maybe she’ll admit her testimony wasn’t so solid after all.


I read Sharp Objects several months ago and found it to be dark and twisted in the way that I generally like my books to be.  After reading Dark Places, I think Gillian Flynn has earned a spot in the My Favorite Authors Club.  According to Goodreads her next book Gone Girl should be coming out some time this year. 

Flynn creates a very unlikeable character in Libby Day.  She's obviously suffering from her past, but she's made no attempts to heal herself.  She's sullen and bitter and only interested in how she's going to cash in from what's happened to her and her family.  However, she's a memorable character and eventually I found myself wanting things to turn out right for her.

The best part of this book is the pacing.  I was kept on my toes throughout the whole book.  Even though little clues are sprinkled throughout, and I suspect most people might get an idea of what actually happened, I promise you will not guess the entirety of the events of that night.  That's the kind of awesome writing I love!

2 comments:

Linen and Silk said...

Ooh, this sounds great! Need to read! :)

Alexis @ Reflections of a Bookaholic said...

Oh I think I would rather read the spoilers. I don't think I could handle the suspense. I'm a punk ;)