Pages

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Throwback Thursday- The Trouble with JJ by Tami Hoag





Author: Tami Hoag
First published in 1988 by Bantam Books


Just what Genna Hastings needed, a conceited creep of a new neighbor with rippling muscles, mile-wide shoulders, and a wicked Jack Nicholson smile that could melt stone! It wasn't often that women resisted star quarterback J.J. Hennessy, but he was ready to trade all the cover girls he'd dated for the adorable lady next door. With his summer sky eyes and kisses that stole her sanity and her willpower, J.J. was impossibly charismatic, magnificently male -- and a bachelor father who was in danger of losing custody of his little girl... unless he could persuade Genna to help change his fast-lane image in time! She was tempted by his offer, and by him -- but she couldn't be head over heels in love with a wildman football player... could she? J.J. insisted that opposites attracted, just like magnets, but Genna wanted security, a man who'd always be there. Could he make her believe he was her man for all seasons?


From what I can tell, this was Tami Hoag's first book.  Like a lot of romantic suspense and mystery writers, she got her start writing contemporary romance.  She has come a long way from this first book!  While I did enjoy The Trouble with J.J., I didn't love it.  The one thing that I didn't really care for was Genna.  She was too wimpy for me.  JJ was such a great character and so obviously head over heels for Genna, but she just can't see it.  Instead of confronting JJ about his feelings, she becomes withdrawn and sulky.  That drove me nuts.  I was also frustrated with the end.  It was dragged out WAAAAAAY too long with no epilogue.  What a let down.

The one redeeming quality of this book was JJ.  He is just too cute. I loved the scenes between him and his daughter. I also loved the peripheral characters.  They are really what kept me engaged.  The aunt was hysterical!  I listened to the audiobook and the narrator did a wonderful job.  It's a quick read and worth it for any fan of Ms. Hoag!


No comments: