Pages

Monday, August 27, 2012

Review: Shine Shine Shine by Lydia Netzer

by:  Lydia Netzer
published by:  St. Martin's Press
publish date:  July 17, 2012

Sunny Mann has masterminded a perfect life for herself and her family in a quiet Virginia town. Even her genius husband, Maxon, an astronaut on his way to the moon, has been trained to pass for normal. But when a fender bender sends her blonde wig flying, her secret is exposed. Not only is she bald, but she's nothing like the Stepford wife she appears to be. As her facade begins to unravel, we discover the singular world of Sunny and Maxon, two outcasts who found unlikely love in one another. Theirs is a wondrous, strange relationship formed of dark secrets, long-forgotten murders and the urgent desire for connection.

I had an ARC of this book to read, but then I was at the library and saw the audiobook.  I always prefer audiobooks when I can get them.  Then I saw it was narrated by Joshilyn Jackson.  What??  I stopped everything and popped that baby in.  Joshilyn is not only an awesome writer, but she does an amazing job with audiobooks.

I've been giving out 5 stars on Goodreads very sparingly this year, but Shine Shine Shine got the coveted 5 stars from me.   This had to be one of the best books I've read this year and I've read some really good ones.  I loved everything about it, from the story to the characters to how the book was laid out.   This was one of the first books that I read that portrayed a person with autism/Asperger's as a normal functional person.  It was a refreshing change.

A lot of women will see themselves in Sunny in some aspect.  While some of her actions are bizarre and frustrating, it makes her instantly identifiable and lovable.  Everybody has something they're hiding like Sunny's baldness and I'm sure most of us wonder if we're brave enough to show it like she does when she stops wearing her wig. 

I can't wait for everyone else to read this book.  I want to hear other people talking about it!  Shine Shine Shine would make such a great book club book.  Have you read it?  Did you love it as much as I did?

Want to read more reviews?
Back to Books
Book Chatter

No comments: