Pages

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Interview & Review: Sins of the mind by Garland & Gould


Enjoy our interview with L.J and Debbie after my thoughts on Sins of the Mind!

Authors: L.J. Garland & Debbie Gould
Publisher: Decadent Publishing
Date of publication: May 2012

Seven years ago, Abby Montgomery survived a brutal attack. Now she is ready to put her pain in the past and move on with her life. The problem is, one by one the men in her life are being viciously murdered.

My thoughts:

I thoroughly enjoyed Sins of the mind.  It was a well written mystery and although I had pretty much figured out who the killer was halfway through, it didn't take away from my enjoyment.  There was still a surprise in the end that I didn't see coming.   I liked the chemistry between Abby and Ethan. While the romance was quick, it was believable and very hot!  I'm hoping that the next book in the series will feature Ethan's friend Will. I look forward to seeing what comes next from this team of authors.  They work very well together!

DEBBIE GOULD: Thanks for inviting us, I’m excited.
LJ GARLAND:  Yes, thanks so much for having us today!

Kari: What inspired you to become a writer?

DEBBIE GOULD: My daughter, she kept meeting a bunch of losers, so I decided to write about the type of man I wanted her to find, lol. She’s been a huge supporter. She and my boys continue to be great inspirations. 
LJ GARLAND: I had all these voices in my head, telling me their stories. They kept me up at night. Seemed the only way to get them to shut up was to write about them. Lol My husband has encouraged from the start (probably cause he got tired of me talking to myself – lol). And Deb…she helps keep me on track. (Hey, tough job, but somebody’s gotta do it!) lol

Kari: Where do you come up with the idea for your books?

LJ GARLAND: As I recall, we were both on the same Internet forum. We’d known each other for…what? Two years, Deb?
 DEBBIE GOULD:  Yup, about that. We had been brainstorming a plot in one of the books I was writing (still unfinished, lol) and I showed her the first chapter of another story that had been screaming in my brain at me. She liked it, and I asked her if she wanted to co-write it. 
LJ GARLAND:  That’s right! And I was excited because the story was interesting. Romance and murder, what’s not to like? So, we started brainstorming ideas and things got pretty intense and…what’s the word I’m looking for? 
DEBBIE GOULD: Twisted? 
DEBBIE GOULD: Yes. That’s a great descriptor. But we both loved it and voilĂ , Sins of the Mind! 
DEBBIE GOULD: From there, came the town of Red River. 
LJ GARLAND:  Yes. We both loved the town and the characters that survived the first book.  
DEBBIE GOULD: It was a big joint effort. 
LJ GARLAND: Yep. Debbie and I work great together. We get to talking and the ideas just flow. It amazes me how “on-track” we are with each other. We’re both very open…listen to each other’s thoughts and ideas…whining, complaining… *cough*, um, laughing and giggling. 
DEBBIE GOULD:  Definitely. We have great brainstorming sessions on all our stories, and it’s amazing the things we come up with. I also think we share a brain, lol.
 LJ GARLAND:  Yeah! A lot of times, I’m IMing something to Deb, and by the time I hit SEND, BAM – she’s IMd me the same thing! LOL

Kari: What exciting projects are waiting in the wings?

DEBBIE GOULD: We’re actually working on three stories right now.
LJ GARLAND: Oh gosh, yes…we are! We keep tossing these chapters back and forth and sometimes I forget which character goes with which story. LOL
DEBBIE GOULD: I try to keep her straight, but it’s difficult at times. Especially if Laura hasn’t had her coffee.
LJ GARLAND: (glances down at coffee cup) Oh wait. I need a refill. Back in a sec.
DEBBIE GOULD: There she goes again. (sigh) We are working on the next book in the Red River Series. Yup more murder, mayhem, and romance, lol.
LJ GARLAND: Back. Now, Red River series? Yep, we’ll be torturing the next characters even more than the first. Though, I think Sins of the Mind had several unexpected twists…and the characters got banged up pretty good.
DEBBIE GOULD: Think we should tease?
LJ GARLAND: Why not? LOL
DEBBIE GOULD: Okay. So, the next book in the Red River series is Will Donovan’s story. Here’s a little bit of our latest WIP….

FBI Agent Will Donovan jogged down the platform toward the train. Each step jolted the flashlight in his hand, sending the beam of light dashing over the concrete in front of him. Would he be too late?
Rows of light illuminated the abandoned trains, left in an old offshoot line of Boston’s Boylston Street Station. He rushed past a wall decorated with graffiti and cobwebs, his footsteps ringing hollow in the old concrete-lined tunnel. Behind him his partner, Kate Yarbrough followed.
“Will,” she called, her voice a harsh whisper filled with warning.
He slowed up. Kate was right. Rushing in could get them both killed. Just because the psycho bastard hadn’t set traps before didn’t mean there weren’t any this time. With both hands, he swept his flashlight beam and Glock 23 across the area, searching out the monster who’d murdered so many women. But only dirt, gravel, and rusted tracks were revealed.
He twisted back to his partner, who tilted her head toward the train car. Get on the train, Will. Find the girl. He nodded.

DEBBIE GOULD: We’re also just finished a suspense short story for Decadent’s 1Night Stand series. 
LJ GARLAND: Oh, yeah…those hottie pararescue guys.
DEBBIE GOULD: Oh, my they are sooo hot and a great bunch of guys.
LJ GARLAND: That story is a romantic suspense. And we’re hoping to build a string of stories about these amazing guys.
DEBBIE GOULD: We’ve each got a 1Night Stand story. L.J.’s is Dead or Alive. A sci-fi romance/thriller. It’s fast-paced and has wonderful characters and a Hot romance. I’m waiting for that story with Mr. Jones, btw. Lol
LJ GARLAND: I’m working on it! Debbie’s 1Night Stand story is Second Chance. It’s a romantic suspense and the first book in the Pararescuemen series. Awesome characters and a very emotional story. We both liked the idea of writing a series about these amazing guys, that we sat down and hammered out the next one.
DEBBIE GOULD: Did I mention they are hot!
LJ GARLAND: LOL Yes, Debbie. The guys are hot. But they’re more than that, too. Right? They have their own set of issues/baggage. In My Sights was just contracted with Decadent Publishing. The third story we’re working on is a short paranormal romantic suspense.
DEBBIE GOULD: Oh, yeah. The tat story.
LJ GARLAND: Another twisty tale…or it should be by the time we’re finished.
DEBBIE GOULD: No doubt, lol. If one of our minds doesn’t think of it, the other does.
LJ GARLAND: That one’s a paranormal romance. So, hopefully, we’ll have more releases soon. Some shorts and a longer story or two.

Kari: Who is your favorite literary character and why?

DEBBIE GOULD: Hmmm, I can’t think of a specific character. But I like strong women who can take care of themselves, yet once they meet THAT guy, will lower her defenses and let him in, and I like the same characteristics in a man. Alpha all the way except when it comes to his girl.
LJ GARLAND: Wow, I probably should pick some classic character like Jane Eyre or Elizabeth Bennett or maybe Scarlett O’Hara. But right now I’m finishing up The Hunger Games and Katniss Everdeen is pretty cool. I like that she’s resourceful, giving, and smart. I like really strong heroines. Another fav character is Alyssa Locke from Suzanne Brockmann’s Trouble Shooter Series. Another kick-butt heroine.

Kari: Just for fun, if you could be any animal, what would it be and why? 

LJ GARLAND: Boring, I know, but I’d pick an indoor cat. I love kitties and I look at them and what a relaxing life they have…pampered, waited on hand-and-foot, brushed, get to sleep as much as they like, yet they’re also pretty darn smart, resourceful (opening/closing doors), stealthy, acrobatic. Plus they purr. lol I know how much I like to hold them when their motor starts running. I can’t imagine how awesome/relaxing it must feel to BE the one purring. ;-) 
DEBBIE GOULD: Cougar, LMAO. Enough said.

- We can be tracked down at http://www.garland-and-gould.blogspot.com/ where we blog, chat about stuff, and interview other authors.
- L.J. can be caught at www.lj-garland.com and emailed at mail@lj-garland.com You can also tweet her at @LJ_Garland1
- Debbie can be found at http://www.authordebbiegould.com/ and emailed at mountecho2006@yahoo.com.  Tweet her at @DebbieGould
- We love hearing from people who have enjoyed our stories!
And you can find Sins of the Mind here!

LJ GARLAND: Thank you so much for having us here today!  
DEBBIE GOULD: Yes, thanks! We had an awesome time!

Kari: Thanks, ladies!



1 comment:

Jessica E. Subject said...

Fabulous interview! I loved both of your 1Night Stand stories, and I look forward to reading Sins of the Mind. :)

All the best!