Pages

Friday, October 14, 2022

Review: Clown in a Cornfield 2: Frendo Lives by Adam Cesare

Author: Adam Cesare
Publisher: Harperteen
Publication Date: August 2022

Set a year after the first book, it looks at how the surviving characters are dealing with fame and infamy when a new threat, wearing an old clown mask, reaches out to upend their lives.


"And if you had any favorite characters in Clown in a Cornfield, I'm preemptively sorry. #FrendoLives" - Adam Cesare

I really enjoyed Clown in a Cornfield, so I was excited to see there was a sequel.  Clone in a Cornfieldb2: Frendo Lives picks up about a year after the events of the first book.  We find the survivors trying to put move on and look to the future.  They are dealing with PTSD from the horrific events.  They are also dealing with online conspiracies and mistruths.  Sounds great, right?

I'm not going to lie... I hated this book.  Honestly, I should have DNF'd it.  I may spoil it a bit, but since I don't recommend it, then I don't really care.  But feel free to not read any further should you want to pick it up.  This book was a mess.  It's so slow for the first 2/3 of the book.  As with the first book, there were too many perspectives.  A few of which added nothing to the overall story.  I'm honestly not even sure what the reasoning was behind the group of clowns.  I guess I'm supposed to believe that that a group of people believed one stupid YouTube conspiracy video and set out for their own justice.  I'm sure there was supposed to be some type of social commentary, but I honestly don't care enough to try to figure it out.

The characters did not communicate and just argued.   Near the end, all of a sudden one of the characters from the first book turns out to be a bad guy.  That came out of nowhere and was a dumb "twist".  It added nothing to the overall story.  I hated the ending.  I'm not a fan of revenge plot lines.  I really could rant all day about this, but I just want to forget it now.  I don't recommend it.  I'm sorry I read it and I won't read the next one should there be one.


No comments: