Pages

Saturday, October 1, 2022

September Mini Musings Part I



Frightmares:  This isn't the worst YA horror and yet not the best one I have read.  It was entertaining but  I wanted it to be scarier. For the amount of "gore" and the haunted house setting,  it should have been creepy and atmospheric.  It fell short. I did call the killer early on.  But I thought the motive would be something different.  I'm not sure I loved the ending.  There are better YA horror out there.


Old Boys:  Yet another book that had an interesting premise, but just OK execution.   I just didn't care for the characters.  I felt like I only got to know them on a surface level.  I think had I gotten to know them more, I would have felt more sympathy for them.  I did like the big twist.

Deadly Harvest:
  This was a fairly cute cozy mystery.  I was kept guessing. I enjoyed the characters.  But I didn't like the romance really.  I didn't feel the connection really.  IT was also a little too heavy on the religion for me.  It had a very old fashioned feel in a modern setting.  I'm not sure if I will read the next one.


Ruby Fever:  This was a satisfying, yet, just OK end to the second Hidden Legacy trilogy featuring Catalina and Alessandro .  I overall did like this couple.  Not as much as Nevada and Rogan.  But, it was still entertaining.  There were some very surprising reveals toward the end that kind of spoil the whole series so far.  So, this can't be read as a stand alone. Be forewarned!  

Let it Be Me
:  This was an adorable friends to lovers/age gap romance.  I really enjoyed this couple.  I was happy that they got over the age gap issue fairly quickly.  I also enjoyed the relationship between Emerson and her daughter.  This is a part of a larger series, so I'll probably go back and read the books before this one.


The Getaway:  I thought this one was so-so.  I did like the characters.  I didn't like the lack of world building.  I wish I knew more about what was happening outside the park and the world at large. I felt like the story could use more world building.  

No comments: