Pages

Sunday, October 9, 2022

Review: Daisy Darker by Alice Feeney

Author: Alice Feeney
Publisher: Flatiron Books
Publication Date: August 2022

After years of avoiding each other, Daisy Darker’s entire family is assembling for Nana’s 80th birthday party in Nana’s crumbling gothic house on a tiny tidal island. Finally back together one last time, when the tide comes in, they will be cut off from the rest of the world for eight hours.

The family arrives, each of them harboring secrets. Then at the stroke of midnight, as a storm rages, Nana is found dead. And an hour later, the next family member follows…

Trapped on an island where someone is killing them one by one, the Darkers must reckon with their present mystery as well as their past secrets, before the tide comes in and all is revealed.

In Daisy Darker, Daisy and her family have returned to their grandmother's home to celebrate her 80th birthday.  When her grandmother's prediction of her own imminent death actually happens, the family find themselves trapped in a home with a killer.

I thought his was an interesting take on And Then There Were None.  It went in a completely different direction than I was expecting with a few surprising twists.  I loved the dark gothic atmosphere of the book.   The house was creepy.  I loved that no one was safe and I wasn't quite sure who to trust.  That included Daisy who I found to be an unreliable character.  I can't exactly say why because of potential spoilers.  This is a book that you are better off going in with little information.  I had a great time with it and I highly recommend it!


No comments: