Pages

Saturday, October 29, 2022

Review: Daphne by Josh Malerman

Author: Josh Malerman
Publisher: Del Ray
Publication Date: August 2022

It’s the last summer for Kit Lamb: The last summer before college. The last summer with her high school basketball team, and with Dana, her best friend. The last summer before her life begins.

But the night before the big game, one of the players tells a ghost story about Daphne, a girl who went to their school many years ago and died under mysterious circumstances. Some say she was murdered, others that she died by her own hand. And some say that Daphne is a murderer herself. They also say that Daphne is still out there, obsessed with revenge, and will appear to kill again anytime someone thinks about her.

After Kit hears the story, her teammates vanish, one by one, and Kit begins to suspect that the stories about Daphne are real . . . and to fear that her own mind is conjuring the killer. Now it’s a race against time as Kit searches for the truth behind the legend and learns to face her own fears—before the summer of her life becomes the last summer of her life.


I know I have said in the past that I was done with this author.  I have not finished one book since Bird Box.  I was beginning to think he was a one hit wonder for me.  Since I am a glutton for punishment, I reluctantly started Daphne.  Boy, I was so pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this one.  I feel like the author who wrote Bird Box is finally back.  Maybe?  

As I said, I really enjoyed this one.  I thought it was spooky, creepy and terrifying. It was sufficiently gory and horrific. The mythology behind the ghost was interesting.  There were a couple of twists that I loved as well.  The characters were interesting and I enjoyed the multiple perspectives.  I also really liked that no one was safe in the book.  I was rooting for them all.  I don't want to give away too much.  I could see this turned into a movie.  I highly recommend this one.  Even if the last few books by this author have been lackluster for you. Give this one a try.


No comments: