Pages

Saturday, July 19, 2014

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

by:  Elizabeth Wein
published by:  Egmont Press
publish date:  February 6, 2012

Oct. 11th, 1943-A British spy plane crashes in Nazi-occupied France. Its pilot and passenger are best friends. One of the girls has a chance at survival. The other has lost the game before it's barely begun.

When "Verity" is arrested by the Gestapo, she's sure she doesn't stand a chance. As a secret agent captured in enemy territory, she's living a spy's worst nightmare. Her Nazi interrogators give her a simple choice: reveal her mission or face a grisly execution.


This was one of those books that I've had forever it seems like and I don't know why I never got around to it.  I finally read it and oh my gosh, I loved it.  No wonder so many people were gushing about it.

It tells the story about British pilot Maddie and her passenger Verity.  They crash behind enemy lines and Verity is captured by the Nazis.  Because they want information from her, they allow her to write out her story in hopes that she will divulge secrets.    In the mean time, Maddie is trying to get back to friendly territory so that they can rescue Verity before the Nazis execute her.

The story is told in both Verity's point of view and Maddie's and it was a very tense and exciting story.  It's one of those books that when I finished reading it, my first thought was that all kids should have to read it.  I wouldn't be surprised if it became required reading.  So, I definitely recommend it for anyone and everyone!

No comments: