Pages

Sunday, July 27, 2014

Hard As you Can by Laura Kaye

Author: Laura Kaye
Publisher: Avon
Date of publication: February 2014

Ever since hard-bodied, drop-dead-charming Shane McCallan strolled into the dance club where Crystal Dean works, he’s shown a knack for getting beneath her defenses. For her little sister’s sake, Crystal can’t get too close. Until her job and Shane’s mission intersect, and he reveals talents that go deeper than she could have guessed. 

Shane would never turn his back on a friend in need, especially a former Special Forces teammate running a dangerous, off-the-books operation. Nor can he walk away from Crystal. The gorgeous waitress is hiding secrets she doesn't want him to uncover. Too bad. He’s exactly the man she needs to protect her sister, her life, and her heart. All he has to do is convince her that when something feels this good, you hold on as hard as you can—and never let go.


Hard as You Can picks up pretty much where Hard as it Gets left off. I really liked the first one, but I have to say I was a bit disappointed in this second one.  I felt like this book was a little longer than it needed to be.  After the length of this book, I was disappointed that they team had not really gotten any further along in clearing their names and bringing down the bad guys.  I was hoping for more progress.  The upside was that the camaraderie between the men began to get back to what it once was especially between Nick and Shane.  Their conversation at the end was wonderful.

As for the romance between Shane and Crystal it was a bit fast and a bit forced.  I had a hard time buying the "I love You" so fast since they didn't actually spend a lot of time together.  I could see the infatuation, caring and lust, but for me the love was too quick. I also felt like Crystal had too much baggage after what she went through and really needed to do a lot of work before she could commit to anything or anyone.  

So, in the end it was just an OK read for me.  I will probably continue with the series because I like the characters.  Hard to Come By is Marz's story and comes out later this fall.


No comments: