Pages

Thursday, July 24, 2014

Throwback Thursday: Snowfall at Willow Lake by Susan Wiggs


Author: Susan Wiggs
First published in 2008 by Harlequin (Mira)

Can a single moment change your entire life?

International lawyer Sophie Bellamy has dedicated her life to helping people in war-torn countries. But when she survives a hostage situation, she remembers what matters most--the children she loves back home. Haunted by regrets, she returns to the idyllic Catskills village of Avalon on the shores of Willow Lake, determined to repair the bonds with her family.
There Sophie discovers the surprising rewards of small-town life--including an unexpected passion for Noah Shepherd, the local veterinarian. Noah has a healing touch for anything with four legs, but he's never had any luck with women--until Sophie.

So far, I have enjoyed this series.  I like visiting with the Bellamy families and the town of Avalon.  Having said that, Snowfall at Willow Lake is probably my least favorite out of the first 4 books so far.  I did enjoy it, but I thought it was the weakest for a few reasons. 


I felt like there was a lot of repetition about past occurrences.  Almost like the author was trying to make sure it could be read as a stand alone book.  That was annoying.  There were also way too many pop cultural references in the story that in another 10 years, people won't remember or care about.    There was a lack of romance as I didn't buy into Noah and Sophie fully.  I needed to see more of them together.  And really, who dates someone for MONTHS and never asks them their age?  I had a hard time buying that one!

What I did like was the way Sophie and her children's relationship grew and healed.  It was also good to see a lot of past characters and catch up on how they are doing.  I also loved the ending, it was very sweet.  


No comments: