Pages

Sunday, July 6, 2014

Complicit by Stephanie Kuehn

by:   
published by:  St. Martin's Griffin
publish date:  June 24, 2014

Two years ago, sixteen-year-old Jamie Henry breathed a sigh of relief when a judge sentenced his older sister to juvenile detention for burning down their neighbor’s fancy horse barn. The whole town did. Because Crazy Cate Henry used to be a nice girl. Until she did a lot of bad things. Like drinking. And stealing. And lying. Like playing weird mind games in the woods with other children.  But today Cate got out. And now she’s coming back for Jamie. Because more than anything, Cate Henry needs her little brother to know the truth about their past. A truth she’s kept hidden for years. A truth she’s not supposed to tell. 

I'm sort of on the fence about this book.  It had some good aspects, but overall I didn't find it had that "spark".  

I liked the character Cate.  She was mysterious enough to be interesting, but not really crazy enough to be unreliable.  I liked the idea of Jamie's medical condition.  It was something different and interesting to read about. 

However, I felt like it was very predictable.  Maybe it was just me, but it was like I knew what the outcome of the book was going to be when it started and that really wasn't much fun.

I was excited to read this book, but it just sort of fizzled in the end.  I guess I had figured everything out too early and ruined it for myself. 



No comments: